September 16 or 17
Looking for a way to keep your kids entertained while you get to enjoy some amazing art? Check out these fun, kid-friendly opportunities during the second weekend of Take Me to the River.
Start your day off with a stop at Valley Bookseller in Downtown Stillwater. This locally-owned, independent book store has a wide variety of kids’ books and activity sets to keep the kids interested in between stops at art festivals and artful benches. Mad Libs anyone? Or maybe catch the Storytime Trolley, a joint effort of the Stillwater Trolley and Valley Bookseller. (Be sure to get your reservation in advance, this is a popular attraction with the preschool set.)
Families love the annual Marine Art Fair nestled in the quaint village of Marine on St. Croix. More than 100 artists and craftsman combine to create a festive, artful experience. You might even find and accordion player among the artists. The entire village is a designated historic landmark by the state of Minnesota, so be sure to check out the gazebo, buildings and Mill Site park before heading out of town.
If you happen to be at Marine Art Fair on Sunday morning, be sure to check out local jazz musicians perform at the Mobile Art Gallery. A trio from the St. Croix Jazz Orchestra will perform at 10am followed by an Instrument Petting Zoo sponsored by Security State Bank of Marine. This is a great chance for the whole family to try out a couple of brass band instruments.
A drive up the river to Shafer is well worth the car ride. The kids will be amazed at the larger than life sculptures (some of which they can climb on) that dot the prairie at Franconia Sculpture Park. Bring a picnic lunch or late afternoon snack. The whole family can absorb the whimsy of art in nature, and kids get a chance to run off energy.
- ArtReach St. Croix Mobile Art Gallery, (Sept. 17, 10:00 a.m., free admission)
- Marine Art Fair, Historic Downtown Marine on St. Croix (Sept. 16-17, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; free admission)
- Franconia Sculpture Park, 29836 St. Croix Trail, Shafer (free and open to the public, dawn to dusk, 365 days a year)
- Stillwater Trolley, 400 E. Nelson St., Stillwater (Storytime Trolley, Saturday, 10:00 a.m. at Valley Bookseller, admission $5.00, reservations needed: 651-430-3385)
- Valley Bookseller, 217 Main St. N., Stillwater (Monday-Saturday, 9:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. and Sunday, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.)