September 17 or 18
Looking for a way to keep your kids entertained while you get to enjoy some amazing art? Check out these fun, kid-friendly opportunities during the second weekend of Take Me to the River.
Start your day off with a stop at Valley Bookseller in Downtown Stillwater. This locally-owned, independent book store has a wide variety of kids’ books and activity sets to keep the kids interested in between stops at art festivals and artful benches. Mad Libs anyone? Or maybe catch the Storytime Trolley, a joint effort of the Stillwater Trolley and Valley Bookseller. (Be sure to get your reservation in advance, this is a popular attraction with the preschool set.)
Families love the annual Marine Art Fair nestled in the quaint village of Marine on St. Croix. More than 100 artists and craftsman combine to create a festive, artful experience. You might even find and accordion player among the artists. The entire village is a designated historic landmark by the state of Minnesota, so be sure to check out the gazebo, buildings and Mill Site park before heading out of town.
A drive up the river to Shafer is well worth the car ride. The kids will be amazed at the larger than life sculptures (some of which they can climb on) that dot the prairie at Franconia Sculpture Park. Their Annual Art & Artists Celebration adds activities, music and food to the mix. The whole family can absorb the whimsy of art in nature, and kids get a chance to run off energy.
Don’t let the construction on Hwy. 8 dissuade you from a stop at Peter Jadoonath Backyard Pottery Sale. The Jadoonath homestead is right there on the Tern Avenue detour route to Taylors Falls. Pottery, pie and chickens make this a great stop for the whole family. Jadoonath and his fellow potters even have a kids-only pottery spot with kid-friendly pricing.
- Marine Art Fair, Historic Downtown Marine on St. Croix (Sept. 17-18, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; free admission)
- Peter Jadoonath Backyard Pottery Sale, 30208 Tern Ave., Shafer (Sept. 17-18, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; free admission)
- Franconia Art & Artists Celebration, 29836 St. Croix Trail, Shafer (Sept. 17, 11:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.)
- Stillwater Trolley, 400 E. Nelson St., Stillwater (Storytime Trolley, Saturday, 10:00 a.m. at Valley Bookseller, admission $5.00, reservations needed: 651-430-3385)
- Valley Bookseller, 217 Main St. N., Stillwater (Monday-Saturday, 9:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. and Sunday, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.)