Women Make Art
September 20-22 and 27-29
The St. Croix Valley of Minnesota and Wisconsin is awash in artists creating work that is often inspired by the river that defines this very special place. Painters in particular create work that connects to this place where residents and visitors are invited to slow down and appreciate the life around them. During Take Me to the River, art enthusiasts and art fair novices alike will have the opportunity to experience work by hundreds of artists many of whom make this region their home, but searching out these four women artists with diverse styles is an experience that visitors won’t want to miss.
Sharon Weiser’s studio and gallery are found in an unassuming 1980s office building just off Highway 36, but inside visitors are greeted with larger than life still-life oil paintings. Weiser relocated to Stillwater several years ago from Arizona where she had established herself as an award-winning and highly sought artist of desert flora. On September 14-16, guests are invited to Sharon Weiser Art Studio Sale, where they can see firsthand how Weiser’s intricate balance of color, light and shadow that bring everyday items and farmer’s market treasures to life.
Mary Jo Van Dell
The Judd Street Exchange is modern gallery space in a historic building and and endeavor of award winning oil painter, Mary Jo Van Dell. The space, above the Marine General Store and adjacent to her working studio, displays Van Dell’s paintings in a bright gallery setting complimented by artwork by local potters and woodworkers. Known for their subtle and masterfully selected palettes, Van Dell’s landscape oil paintings can be found in private collections around the region. On September 21-23, see Van Dell’s newest work and the space where it was created at an open house at Mary Jo Van Dell Studio & Judd Street Exchange.
A painter, sculptor, and photographer, Karen Marchese’s work gravitates towards the semi-abstract. Primarily focused on form, contrast, and mass and the forces in between, her work highlights the assimilation of the two dimensional into the three dimensional. Her childhood having been influenced by her father’s sculpting, welding, and combining of mediums and objects, her style of work achieves a similar goal of interesting sculptural imagery while also appreciating happenstance and the non-staged subject. See her work at Marchese Design Studios Fall Gallery Adventure Tour on September 27-29.
Sue Rowe grew up in Northern Wisconsin where black bear sightings were a common occurrence. However, it wasn’t until years later and after receiving her BFA that she drew her first bear on the second floor of an antique store in Stillwater. Rowe’s bears tell stories and can be found in both humorous illustrations, where they drink coffee and contemplate life, and thoughtful, colorful paintings. An art fair regular, Sue and her bears will be at the Marine Art Fair on September 15-16 and Spirit of the St. Croix Art Festival on September 22-23.
- Marine Art Fair, Historic Downtown, Marine on St. Croix (Saturday, September 21-Sunday, September 22, 10am-5pm; free admission)
- Marchese Design Studios Fall Gallery Adventure Tour, 813 Hamilton Street, St. Croix Falls (Friday, September 27, 1-8pm; Saturday, September 27, 10am-5pm and Sunday, September 28, 10am-4pm; free admission)
- Mary Jo Van Dell Studio & Judd Street Exchange, 101 Judd Street, Marine on St. Croix (Friday, September 27, 1-8pm; Saturday, September 28 and Sunday, September 29, 10am-5pm; free admission)
- Rivertown Fall Art Festival, Lowell Park, Stillwater (Saturday, October 5, 10am-5pm and Sunday, October 6, 11am-4pm; free admission)
- Sharon Weiser Art Studio Sale, 1940 S. Greeley Street, Suite 214, Stillwater (Friday, September 20, 12-8pm; Saturday, September 21-Sunday, September 22, 10am-5pm; free admission)
- Spirit of the St. Croix Art Festival, Lakefront Park, Hudson (Saturday, September 28, 10am-5pm and Sunday, September 29, 10am-4p; free admission)