River towns in the fall aren’t just inspiration for artists. They can also be the perfect setting for a romantic getaway. Stroll hand in hand with your significant other while you enjoy the fall colors, the clear blue river and some inspired art.
Start your weekend off on Friday night in scenic Stillwater, with the Sharon Weiser Art Studio Sale. Weiser, a representational painter and teacher, sells her work alongside fellow artists Jon Kamrath, a sculptor, and Nadine Jentzsch, an abstract painter. The variety in their pieces is sure to be inspiring and there is certainly something there to pique everyone’s interest.
There are a variety of lodging options available in the Stillwater and the St. Croix Valley. From lovingly restored B&Bs and waterfront inn to newly constructed modern hotels, you are sure to find a place with just atmosphere you are looking for. A great way to find your perfect accommodations is to check out Discover Stillwater.
On Saturday morning, head to the new St. Croix River Crossing bridge into Minnesota. Where you can walk or ride a bike of the St. Croix which be especially beautiful at sunrise.
From there, head north to the historic village of Marine on St. Croix which is transformed into a veritable arts wonderland. The annual Marine Art Fair features 150 artists and craftsmen from the St. Croix Valley and beyond. Marine’s reputation as an outstanding art fair and the natural beauty of this river town combine to make this a must see fall event.
Stroll among the shops in historic downtown Stillwater and have romantic lunch along the river at Dock Cafe. You will both find something to your liking with a superb selection of fresh seafood, many chef-created specialties and an extensive wine list to choose from.
Interested in learning more about the river town that is the birthplace of Minnesota? The Stillwater Trolley takes you past the town’s landmark buildings, homes and churches while filling you in on the past in a humorous and entertaining fashion.
Before heading out of town on Sunday, stop by Three Artists at Big Pink. Artists Joseph Samuelson, Paul Randall and Kristen Kaas will fill the unique architecture of Big Pink with ceramics, paintings, photography and weavings. It comes together to create a multi-dimensional experience with the art.
- Discover Stillwater (online at DiscoverStillwater.com)
- Dock Cafe, 415 Nelson Street E., Stillwater (Mondays-Thursdays, 11am-8:30pm; Fridays-Saturdays, 11am-9pm and Sundays, 11am-8pm)
- Marine Art Fair, Historic Marine on St. Croix (Saturday, September 21-Sunday, September 22, 10am-5pm; free admission)
- Sharon Weiser Art Studio Sale, 1940 S. Greeley Street, Stillwater (Friday, September 20, 4-8pm and Saturday, September 21-Sunday, September 22, 10am-5pm; free admission)
- Stillwater Trolley, 400 E. Main Street, Stillwater (45-minute Historic Tour, $13.50 adults, $12.50 seniors and military, $7.50 youth; online reservations at StillwaterTrolley.com)
- Three Artists at Big Pink, 1900 North 3rd Street, Stillwater (Friday, September 20-Sunday, September 22, 10am-5pm; free admission)